Welp…. since it’s been a hot second since I’ve posted anything on the blog, I thought I’d come back today with a bit of an unusual post about everything I HAVE been doing lately instead of blogging. Without further ado:
- Traveling. We’ve packed a lot of trips into the last few months. Some have been small—like a couple of weekend getaways to Big Bear Mountain (a mere 2 hours away) for snowboarding and skiing, and a quick trip to Vegas for the Super Bowl. But others have been a little more epic—like our trip to Vail earlier this month, or our road trip up the Pacific Coast Highway through Central California last weekend. Having the chance to ski in Vail was amazing; it’s the real deal compared to the “mountains” I grew up skiing on, and I definitely had some freak-outs at the steepness of some of the runs. But it was a total blast! And let’s just talk for a second about the scenery along the California Coast. I die! If you ever have a chance to drive down Highway 1 in California, do it! Fly into San Francisco, rent a car and drive down to L.A. or San Diego – the drive south is so much better than north!
- Getting back into fitness. I’ve been majorly slacking in the area of fitness. After six weeks on the Body By Jenn L.A. program, I started to skip workouts here and there, which eventually turned into skipping entire weeks of workouts. I finally got my butt back in gear by purchasing a Groupon for Fit Body Bootcamp. It’s a nationwide chain, though each location is franchised so they all have a different feel. This is my second time trying it; the first time, I was soooo out of shape that it killed me to go—and I ultimately gave up after a few sessions. This time around, me and the hubz are doing it together for 6 weeks, which gives me extra motivation. Plus, I’m at a better fitness starting point than I was the first time. The workouts are tough and sweaty (and only 30 minutes at my location), but I’m digging it so far!
- Eating out a lot. Remember last year (right around this time) when I shared my tips for eating healthy when dining out? I’ve been relying on those tips a lot lately, since we currently have no kitchen. AGAIN. That’s right, we had another leak in our kitchen, this time in a different pipe but the same general area. Luckily our decision to do wood-look tile floors paid off, as our floors didn’t get damaged. But they still had to take out our lower cabinets to get at the moisture behind them. So we’ll be without a kitchen for the next few weeks while they put it back together. Le sigh.
- Reading. I’ve been absolutely devouring books like candy over the last few months. Right now, I’m on the fourth book of the Harry Potter series, after some friends said I absolutely HAD to read them. While fantasy isn’t my favorite genre, they’re fun books with great writing, and I’m working my way through them really fast. Other books I’ve read lately that I’d recommend are: “Me Before You” by JoJo Moyes (this one is being made into a movie and OMG the trailer looks so good!); “The Cuckoo’s Calling” by Robert Galbraight (a.k.a. J.K. Rowling); “The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry” by Gabrielle Zevin; “The Royal We” by Heather Cocks; and “Dear Daughter” by Elizabeth Little.
- Sewing. Fun fact: When I was a kid, I won a gold ribbon in 4-H for sewing. Granted, my mom was the sewing class teacher so I may have had a little extra help at home. I hadn’t sewed a thing in nearly 20 years–not since my Home Economics class in high school. (High school friends: Who remembers those awesome pillows we sewed?! I wish I still had my cupcake pillow!) For my birthday a few years ago, my mom got me a sewing machine at my request, but it had been sitting in my closet in the box since then. I decided it was time to bust it out and see what I could do. I started small with an envelope pillow, and moved my way to a “faux” Roman shade—which was lined and everything. I was super proud of it, but it got destroyed by my cats (long story). So I’ll be sewing another one—maybe even a “real” Roman shade this time—in the near future.
- Getting red carpet glam. In February, I had the amazing opportunity to attend the Grammy’s with the hubz. He received tickets through a work connection, and oh so casually sent me a text one day saying: “We’re going to the Grammy’s Monday, FYI.” I about died, then I went straight to the Rent the Runway website to scout out dresses. It was so much fun getting supper glammed up in a floor-length sequined gown. The show itself was cool to see behind the scenes, though I’ll be honest – watching it on TV gives you a much better view than we had! I had a few celeb sightings—Kyle Richards and her hubby Mauricio, plus Retta from Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce and Parks & Rec—but no A-listers. Sadly, I didn’t get pics with either woman.
- Playing chauffer to my dog. Ok, I threw this one in solely because listicle-style articles like this do best with odd numbers of items (true story, it’s basically been scientifically proven). But yes, I have been Driving Miss Lucy (my bulldog) a lot these days. In her older age, it’s getting harder for her to walk the block like she used to. So instead, we think she prefers to look out the window at the sights while the car does all the work. Talk about a spoiled dog. (Sometimes she also gets a treat on her ride. In the pic below, we’re in line at McDonald’s to get some French fries. I know, I know. People food isn’t good for dogs, but she adores French fries.)
There you have it: everything I’ve been doing other than blogging. I do have a few post ideas floating around my head, so I’ll try to get those down on paper sooner than later. Until then, cheers!